As one of the Germany’s greenest cities, Essen is allocated in the centre of the Ruhr region. Essen is always worth visiting, whether a city excursion, family vacation or a trip to a trade fair. The city has been awarded the title of “European Capital of Culture 2010”, offering various cultural highlights and being one of the Green Capitals of Europe.
Essen map - Essen transportation map
You will find below our individual recommendations:
For the free afternoon on Saturday 11th :
Below are some recommendations for individual visits:
-> We recommend you a bus company, Ruhrgebiet-Stadtrundfahrten offers a guided tour of Essen city with an audio guide in English (please bring your own headphones)
The bus leaves at 2.00 pm in front of the Haus der Technik*, or another one at 3.30 pm (see point 2).
You will be driven through the city passing by different points: Museum Folkwang, Margarethenhöhe (small market), Gruga Mustergarten (Gruga model gardens), Baldeneysee, Messe Essen (Essen Exhibition Center), Philharmonie and go back to the Haus der Technik. If you wish, you can stop the tour at this level, it will be around 3.00 pm.
The tour costs 21€ per person, you can pay by cash or PayPal directly on the bus (no card accepted) and e-bus tours of the Zollverein World Heritage Site at a reduced fare. Click here to see the map of the tour.
*Starting point at the Haus der Technik: The stop is located on the road side where the Handelshof hotel is located.
-> Guided tours on UNESCO World Heritage Zollverein site
- One-hour bus tour - 13€/ adults - you can take your tickets online
- Starting at Werner-Müller-Platz
- Gelsenkirchener Str. 181 - 14 min by car from the Haus der Technik / 25 min by public transport (U11/U17/108 then 183)
-> Guided tours of the Villa Hugel
- House tours / Park tours - 5€/adults - you can take your tickets directly on site
- 15 min by car from Haus der Technik / 16 min by public transport (107/108/S6)
To go out for dinner :
-> District Rüttenscheid: 6 min by car from the Haus der Technik / 10 min by public transport (107/108/U11)
-> The 'Dampfbierbrauerei' bar and restaurant: brewery, international food - Heinrich-Brauns-Strabe 9-15
16 min by car from the Haus der Technik / 30 min by public transport (103/106/105)
For the free evening on Friday 10th :
You should book your tickets individually
-> Aalto Theatre - The Barber of Seville Opera
- from 7:30 to 10:30 pm
- Italian - German subtitles
- Opernplatz, 10 - 10 min walk from the Haus der Technik
-> Alfried Krupp hall - "Eroica" Piano concert by Sophie Pacini
- from 8:00 to 10:00 pm
- Works of Ludwig van Beethoven and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Philarmonie Essen - Huyssenallee 53 - 13 min walk from the Haus der Technik or 6 min by public transport (107/108)
-> Essen Varieté-Theater - La Strada show
- from 8:00 to 10:00 pm
- 44 - 49€
- Rottstraße 30 - 13 min walk from the Haus der Technik or 11 min by public transport (105/106/107/108)